Saturday, May 16, 2009

Rhubarb and Oatmeal.

Ok, so I know that in the last post, I promised chocolate covered stawberries would be next.

However, I became totally distracted by this Rhubarb and Oatmeal recipe from Omnomicon.

I made it today & it was awesome! I'm in love!

Rhubarb is the bastard love child of an unholy union between a beet and celery.

There's really no other way to describe it.

They're tart, crunchy and cook up BRIGHT RED. They're most commonly used in crisps and pies along with strawberries, but personally, I like their tartness & find the addition of strawberries to be distracting.

So when I came across this recipe I had to make it. NOW. It took about half an hour combined of prep & cook, and as an added bonus, it's pretty to look at.


So here's what I used:

3 medium sized stalks of Rhubarb
1/2 cup of sugar
oatmeal prepared per directions on box
vanilla yogurt.

Cut the rhubarb into small chunks
toss with sugar and place into a pan and cook on medium heat until the chunks become jucy and syrupy

Turn the heat down to low, make oat meal the way you like it.

(I like mine with brown sugar and cinnamon so that's how I made it)

When the oatmeal is done, serve with the rhubarb & yogurt and enjoy.

The three ingredients here are so lovely together I tried to eat this a little bit at a time with the intention of keeping the aestetics intact.

However, it was so delish that I finally gave in & just stirred the whole mess together & devoured.

No comments: