Sunday, February 8, 2009

perfect biscuits


As I've mentioned before, I'm not the best baker in the world. But, I try.

Specifically, I've been trying biscuits for about a year now. With no success until today.

Last week I found an old recipe card for "Sky-High Biscuits". The card is probably from the early 70's. Way back in the day when my mom collected these things & even had a little holder for them and everything.

Some of the recipes on these cards were pretty good.

Most, however, were fairly horrific. Monstrous combos like 'Coffee Jello' and 'Tomato Frappe', 'Tongue Aspic' (i don't even want to know what that involves) 'Poached Trout' and 'Ox Tail Ragout'. Those were some of the more tame ones. I am eternally grateful to my mother for NOT making these trauma-causing creations.

But, the recipes that are keepers are the basic, old fashioned kind that you can't really screw up. Too badly, anyway.

And again, my picky hubby issue comes into play for this. He loves biscuits, but they have to be made just so or he can't eat them. The kind from fast food joints are too heavy, and the ones from the store-bought cans are too oily for him.

So today, I decided to put on a brave face & try this recipe.

And, you know what? He LOVED them! W00T!!

They're light, fluffy, and dry without being too dry. We were all very pleased with how they came out.

So here it is, the 1970 biscuit recipe from my moms collection

Prep Time: 15 min.
Baking Time: 15 mins
Oven Temp: 450

For about 20 you will need the following:

2 Cups All-Purpose Flour (King Arthur Preferably) (because it's the best)
1 Cup Whole Wheat Four
4 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
2 tsp Sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp cream of tartar
3/4 cup butter
1 egg, beaten
1 Cup of milk

1.) In a bowl combine the flours, baking powder, sugar, salt and cream of tartar.

2.) Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. (ie: dry and crumbly)

3.)Add egg and milk, stirring quickly and briefly. Knead lightly on floured board.

4.) Roll or pat gently into 1 inch thickness. Cut into 1 - 2 inch biscuits. Place in a greased 10 inch iron skillet (not) OR (as I did) on tin foil brushed with olive oil on a cookie sheet.

5.) Bake at 450 for about 15 mins.

Both my husband & daughter loved these. We had them with scrambled eggs & meat-less veggie sausage.

No comments: