Sunday, April 19, 2009

Awesome Asparagus


Since it's been Asparagus season, I've been eating these little bad boys like crazy.

I hated them as a kid, but i love them now and so does my daughter. My picky husband? mmmnot so much. But that's ok because my daughter would eat nothing but Asparagus all day if i let her.

I think the reason I didn't like them when I was a kid was because of the way my mom cooked them. They were limp, soggy and a nasty shade of green. So, Mom, take notes!

But the way I cook them is fantastic! I'd love to be able to tell you where I found the recipe, but because it was so simple, I didn't save it & have totally forgotten where I saw it

Anyway, here's what I do:

1 bunch of Asparagus
1 lemon
1 Tbs Olive oil
cracked sea salt to taste.

Wash the Asparagus and chop of the bottom portion.

Arrange in a baking dish & drizzle the olive oil over them & toss gently with a fork

Add sea salt & toss again. After the second tossing, add more sea salt.

Cut the lemon into thin slices, but leave the ends of the lemon as wedges. Squeeze the juice from the wedges over the Asparagus, then discard the wedges. Place the lemon slices over the Asparagus.

Bake in oven at 350 for 20 mins then serve (add more sea salt if you're a salt addict like me)

Heaven, I tell you. Heaven. My child will devour these faster than I can keep them on her plate!

Also, Asparagus are incredibly healthy. There's all kinds of good info on the Wikipeida article on them. Follow the jump to read up on Asparagus.

"Asparagus rhizomes and root is used ethnomedically to treat urinary tract infections, as well as kidney and bladder stones.[citation needed] In Ayurvedic medicine (a traditional medicine of India) a type of asparagus (asparagus racemosa)called Shatavari in Sanskrit is widely used as a tonic, and for women's problems. Shatavari means "Plant of the 100 roots". Because of it's reputed aphrodisiac properties it is also known as "lady with the 100 husbands".

hm! interesting!

No comments: