Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Pizza!




Pizza is one of the precious few things that I can get both my husband and daughter to eat reliably.

And since we're not wealthy, we cannot afford to order out very often, so I usually get the frozen variety.

We've spent years sampling various brands of frozen pizza, and although some are better than others, none have really made all 3 of us happy.

But since I had a smashing success with the pretzels, I decided to have a go at home made pizza.

I was not disappointed.

I used a dough recipe I found at Once Upon A Plate and tweaked it a bit to suit my pallet, and for the sauce I used a portion of my Tomato Bisque recipe, but with a little extra flour added to thicken it up a bit.


Pizza Dough


Yields 1 large, 2 medium, or 4 small pizza crusts

Preheat oven to 500


Ingredients:

1 Tablespoon active Quick Rise

Pinch sugar

3/4 cup very warm (not hot) water

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

¼ teaspoon dried oregano

¼ teaspoon dried basil

salt and pepper to taste

½ teaspoon garlic powder


In a small bowl or glass measuring cup dissolve the yeast and sugar in warm water, stir and set aside for 10 minutes.

Mixture should begin to bubble and foam at the end of the time

While the yeast is dissolving, in a medium bowl, combine flour and salt, pepper and herbs and set aside.

Add the liquid yeast mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until well combined.

Flour a work surface and knead dough for a couple of minutes until smooth and elastic.

Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into 1 large, 2 medium, or 4 small pizzas.

After the dough is rolled out, gently lay on a pizza pan and add sauce, fresh herbs of your choice, cheese and toppings

Bake in hot oven until as crispy as desired. Usually about 10 minutes in my experience.

Serve and enjoy!


This is something that is actually very quick. Once I had the sauce made up and the toppings I want, the whole process takes about 20 minutes from dry ingredients to on my plate. It takes no more time than a frozen pizza does to cook, and it's much healthier .

So, now, my fam wants this all the time and I'm happy to oblige.

1 comment:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

It looks delicious! Homemade ones are the best!

Cheers,

Rosa