Sunday, January 11, 2009

Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms

In the category of OHMYGOD THIS CAME OUT SO GOOD is the new recipe I tried today.

I found it on Coffee & Vanilla and have been dying to try it out ever since. Every single item in this is something I love. Plus, I've been looking for a new way to eat Portobellos. I ususally just saute them in soy sauce, but that's getting kind of old and I don't need the sodium.

So, here's what you'll need:

4 Portobello Mushrooms
1/2 a yellow Spanish onion
2 cloves of garlic
Fresh Mozzarella balls
Baby Spinach (to taste. I used about 15 leafs)
8 Cherry tomatoes
freshly ground black pepper
kosher salt
shredded cheddar/colby mix

Step 1: Wash all vegetables very well. there's a salmonella scare going around, so don't take any chances. Remove all stems from the mushrooms & the spinach.

Step 2: Spray non-stick baking pan with cooking spray and place the mushrooms in, stem side up

Step 3: Slice the mozzarella balls into thin strips and layer them on top of the mushrooms



Step 4: Mince the garlic & the onion half and saute in pan with cooking spray. Sprinkle with black pepper to taste. Then chop up the spinach into small pieces. When the garlic & onion just begin to brown, add the spinach and stir until there is no moisture left in the pan.



Step 5: Spoon the onion, garlic & spinach mix onto the mozzarella slices. Then slice the cherry tomatoes and layer on top of the mixture. (yes, the pan is clean, it's just very old and very well loved)



Step 6: Sprinkle the shredded cheddar/colby cheese on top of the tomatoes and bake in oven at 300 for about 20 minutes. When you take them out, they should look like this. (Please, ignore the hideous counter top. I have The Worlds Ugliest Kitchen. It was probably last updated circa 1974. Which is why there are no pictures of it & I try to keep shots of the counter tops to a minimum.)



Step 7: Lightly sprinkle with the kosher salt. Serve & enjoy. In the photo below, you can see the layers of yummy goodness.



It's snowing like a biatch here & I dug out my car while these little babies were cooking. By the time I came back in, they were done, and they smelled so good, I wolfed down two of them without even stopping to breathe.

Unfortunately, I'm not the most lactose tolerant person in the world, so I'm sure to suffer for this later. But, dang yo! It was worth it!

And again, this was made by me, for me, since no one else in my house will eat this. oh well. more for me!

This was the first time I've used fresh mozzarella balls, and I can definitely tell a difference between the fresh & the pre-packaged shredded stuff. The texture is different and the flavor is much more delicate and subtle.

No comments: