Monday, January 19, 2009

Sweet Potato Butter


I found this recipe over at "A Good Appetite" and have been dying to try it.

I love sweet potatoes & can't seem to ever get enough. My daughter likes them too, but only baked. She has a hard time getting anything with the mashed texture down. The last time I made her eat mashed potatoes she lost it right on her dinner plate. At Thanksgiving at my moms house. It was rather unpleasant all around.

However, she's teeny tiny thin as a rail and so I've been trying out different recipes that I think she'd like. As well as expanding her texture & tastes horizon. She can be picky about certain food items as well, which drives me to tears because all my life I've been surrounded by people who are pathologically picky eaters. My mother, grandfather, daughter & husband combined will willing eat a total of about 20 items.

The Sweet Potato Butter looked like something my daughter would like the taste of, if she could get past the texture. So I made it per the instructions, but DID NOT put it through the blender & it came out just fine. A little chunky, but she will eat it that way & not barf. So it worked out well.


3 large sweet potatoes
2 cups apple cider un-sweetened
1 cup sugar (white or brown your preference)
1 heaping tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves

Preheat oven to 400 F. Poke a few holes in the sweet potatoes & bake for about 1 hour or until soft. I always bake them wrapped up in aluminum foil so they'll retain all of their juices .

Peel the roasted potatoes, put them in a large pot & mash them with a potato masher or fork. Add the cider & sugar & bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Add all of the spices.

Reduce the heat to low & allow to simmer for about 1 hour stirring from time to time. The mixture should thicken to a thick mashed potato-like texture as the liquid cooks out.

If you want to give it a smooth buttery texture you can use a blender, but I left it lumpy for my daughter.

Makes about 3 cups

Sweet Potato Butter should be stored in the refrigerator


No comments: